If you’ve been in your home for a long time, then there’s a chance your roof has seen some things. It’s probably been through severe wear and tear, especially living in ‘hail alley” here in Northern Colorado. But replacing your entire roof can be an expensive endeavor to take on, so how do you know when it’s time? What are some warning signs that your roof is getting TOO old to protect your family?
8 Common Signs Your Roof Needs Replacement
Here are 8 of the most common signs that your roof needs to be replaced
- Your roof has been in use for over 20 years. While most new shingles are produced to last, other factors can contribute to their wear. Things like improper ventilation and weather are some examples of those factors.
- Bald spots where granules are missing.
- Your neighbors are upgrading their roofs. Suppose you find that homes around you built in the same timeframe and experiencing the same weather conditions are upgrading. In that case, that may mean it’s time for you to upgrade too.
- You have cracked shingles or shingles that are curled or cupping around the edges.
- You have a lot of moss growing on your roof. Unfortunately, Moss is attracted to moisture which can damage your roof shingles over time, especially when the water sits on the roof through winter and freezes.
- You see leaks or beams of light on the interior of your home through your roof. If you notice significant leaks or light rays through your roof, you likely need to replace it.
- You notice that your roof is rotting in places. Rotting can happen when weather or moss growth causes dampness issues. Dark streaks, wet spots, and moss can indicate rot.
- When strong winds blow, you find your roof shingles fly away, break, or curl up. A sturdy roof should lay flat in all weather conditions.
Your Roof Is Important
Remember that your roof is vital to your home’s protection. But also needs to be able to pass an inspection should that occur. A failing roof would not pass and may expedite getting a new roof.
Contact Our Roofing Experts Today!
Before you panic, don’t. Panicking about an old roof won’t help make the situation any better. Instead, it’s best to remain calm in this situation and contact a our roofing professionals. Lion Home Service is a Certified GAF Master Elite® company. Our professionals are knowledgeable and prepared to help you with your roofing repair and replacement. Call (970) 829-8222 or visit our website to learn more about how we can help!