The late October Colorado weather has brought cooler temperatures, beautiful fall foliage featuring changing colors, and crisp, maybe even frigid, air. Some trees are still holding on to their colorful leaves, but it won’t be too long before they fall – leaving the trees bare and gutters full. Are your gutters prepped for the increase in leaves, debris, snow, and ice?
While all seasons can contribute to gutter debris, there’s an exceptionally high increase in fall due to falling leaves. So before we go any further, we first suggest a general gutter cleaning. If your gutters become full and are not cleaned, you’ll notice the damage that can form from full gutters over time.
- You may notice clogs in your gutter by seeing rainwater spilling over your gutters instead of flowing to the gutter drain as it should.
- You might see some sagging of your gutters or even notice roof damage.
- Unfortunately, you could not notice some of these issues because the water could overflow into your roof or attic and damage an area of your home you cannot easily see from a quick glance.
- Damage could include rot, deterioration of roof shingles, and mold.
- You may see the siding on your house peeling, indicating the rainwater has found its way into your walls.
- Increased water pooling around your foundation can lead to foundation shifts and erosion.
- Leakage into basements or crawl spaces could also result from water pooling where it shouldn’t be because the gutters cannot correctly direct water due to clogs or overfill.
Lion Home Service suggests cleaning your gutters twice a year, but if you live in an area with more trees or wind, you may need to clean them more often. To help keep your gutters from filling up too quickly, consider a few maintenance and installation suggestions:
Trim back nearby tree branches. If any tree branches reach over your roof, those leaves are more than likely going straight to the gutter once they fall. So consider cutting back branches away from your home to help keep your gutters clear.
Have a gutter protection system installed. Leaf Relief® gutter protection systems keep your gutters from being damaged or clogged. Not only does it help with leaves, but it also protects your gutters from snow and ice. They can be installed on existing gutters or be installed as a complete gutter system. Lion Home Service can help you find the best Leaf Relief® product for your home. Click here to read more about the protection these systems provide. Then, watch this video to see what a difference Leaf Relief® gutter protection systems make!
With your gutters cleaned, working correctly, and protected, water will properly be dispersed to keep your home safe from damage! Call Lion Home Service at (970) 551-6987 to get your gutters where they need to be this fall and winter seasons.